This is an introductory guide and overview for the Autofill product.
You'll find API documentation separately.
Autofill is currently a beta product.
The Autofill product provides fully automated data extraction and classification of identity documents. It is available via an endpoint in all versions of the Onfido API.
Autofill extracts data from documents uploaded by an applicant and immediately returns the document information. Onfido supports Autofill on over 1800 documents. For more information please contact Client Support.
Autofill has a number of use cases, including:
- automatically prefilling sign-up forms
- verifying extracted data against databases
- lite identity document verification (extraction-only)
- automatically classifying identity documents
For an ID document-based registration the following steps outline a typical flow using Autofill.
- A user uploads a document.
- Onfido automatically classifies and extracts the data from the document.
- The user sees pre-populated extracted data in their registration form.
- The user can then check and edit the form if needed, before being onboarded.
Autofill extraction results contain both the document classification and extracted data.
|The issuing country of the document|
|The type of the document|
|The issuing state of the document|
|All names on the document|
|Date of birth|
|Date of expiry|
|Place of birth|
Please see our API reference for the exact fields returned by the API.
Note: As extraction is done on a best-effort basis, and information varies across different documents, none of these properties are guaranteed to be present in the response.